The Chemistry department was established in 1924, at the same time the institute was founded. Until recently the department has been an auxiliary department with limited capacity, running a modest Ph.D. program and offering B. Tech. chemistry course to UG students. In the past 3-4 years the department has seen a lot of expansion, and with increasing faculty strength the number of UG courses offered to B. Tech students has increased. Also, the department's own teaching program, 5 year Integrated M.Sc. in Chemistry, has been started in the current academic year (2015-16), and research activity is gradually being expanded. The department has been and will remain committed to quality teaching and research with a conscious effort to achieve excellence.